By Kimberly Roots – TVLine 07.23.16
The show is called Supergirl, but the buzziest entrance at the CBS-to-CW series’ Comic-Con panel Saturday belonged to Tyler Hoechlin, aka Superman.
The super series hasn’t begun production on Season 2, so “I have not tried on the suit yet,” Teen Wolf alum Hoechlin told the crowd, who cheered loudly when he joined castmates Melissa Benoist, David Harewood, Chyler Leigh, Mechad Brooks and Jeremy Jordan and executive producer Sarah Schechter on stage for the forward-looking discussion.
“That’ll be a moment, for sure,” Hoechlin added.
* Like any family members, Clark and Kara will clash — at least at first, Schechter said. “Clark has a very different experience of what it means to have superpowers on Earth,” the EP explained. “There’s some real head-butting and philosophical approaches that are different. We’ll get into all that.”
A few more tidbits from the talk:
* What brings the American president — played by Wonder Woman‘s Lynda Carter — into the mix? “Big things are happening,” Schechter teased. “Big things have to happen to get Superman and Supergirl together.”
* Schechter dropped this big hint about new cast addition Chris Wood (Containment): He’s the one in the pod Kara encountered in the Season 1 finale.
* The cast and EP talked with excitement about the show’s move from CBS to The CW — and future four-way crossovers with Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. “There’s just a real shorthand. If you say ‘metahuman,’ they know what you’re talking about,” Schechter said.
* Benoist marveled at her first year in the tights and cape. “I honestly look back, and I don’t know how I did a lot of the things we did,” she said. “I feel like I’ve grown so much, kind of simultaneously along with Kara.”
* At Jordan’s insistence, Hoechlin mussed his hair so it approximated Superman’s signature forelock curl. “Oh my God, he’s Superman!” Brooks yelled in mock surprise.
* Brooks called the budding Kara-James romance “a workplace relationship. It’s a new relationship, it’s gonna have ups and downs and tumultuous things,” he added. “It’s weird, because I read [Episode] 201, and it starts with our wedding,” he joked. “I thought that was really fast.”
* Winn as a DEO staff member? Per Jordan, it could happen. “I think he’s looking for a straight-up job. I think it would make the DEO a little more fun,” he said. “It’s a little serious right now.”
Supergirl Season 2 premieres Monday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c on its new home, The CW.